Tribu Pan-ay also amassed various special and minor awards like Best in Performance, Best in Choreography, Best in Music, Best Musical Director, Best Costume Designer and Best Choreographer.
While Tribu Lunok of the Iloilo City National High School was the first runner-up, and Tribu Ilonganon of Jalandoni Memorial National High School, second runner-up.
In the Kasadyahan contest, Salakayan Festival of Miag-ao, Iloilo was the grand champion.
13 Dinagyang Festival dancing ati-atihan tribes yesterday morning until around 3 p.m. displayed their respective dancing feats before a thousand of revelers.
By 8:30 in the morning, the competing tribes performed in four judging areas. They were located at the Iloilo Freedom Grand Stand, Iloilo Provincial Capitol, corner Luna St.-Huervana St. in La Paz district; and Iloilo Sports Complex.
In November 1968, an Augustinian cleric gave the parish priest of San Jose Church a replica of the Sto. Niño de Cebu. To welcome the replica, parishioners and devotees offered Mass and carried the image of the Child Jesus around the streets of Iloilo City. That's how Dinagyang festival started.
Today, Dinagyang is celebrated every year on the fourth weekend of January as a thanksgiving for the Godsend good fortune and for divine protection.
The rowdy movements are gone and in its stead have emerged the structured artistry of kinesis. The plain g-string loincloths have been replaced by fabulous costumes. Drumbeats developed into a distinct festival rhythm, and the festival’s religious essence integrated with cultural and commercial colors.
Follows are the complete lists of winners:
ATI TRIBES CONTEST :
* Champion – Tribu Pan-ay
* 1st runner-up – Tribu Lunok
* 2nd runner-up – Tribu Ilonganon
* 3rd runner-up – Tribu Paghidaet (La Paz National High School)
* 4th runner-up – Atub-atub
MINOR AWARDS IN ATI TRIBES CONTEST :
* Best in Street Dancing – Tribu Lunok
* Best in Performance – Tribu Pan-ay
* Best in Choreography – Tribu Pan-ay
* Best in Music – Tribu Pan-ay
* Best Musical Director – Tribu Pan-ay
* Best Costume Designer – Tribu Pan-ay
* Best in Discipline – Tribu Paghidaet
* Best Headdress – Tribu Paghidaet
* Best Choreographer – Tribu Pan-ay (Rommel Flogen)
* Champion – Salakayan Festival of Miag-ao, Iloilo
* 1st runner-up – Tribu Mandaragat
* 2nd runner-up – Sinulog sang Oracon Festival of Sibunag, Guimaras
* 3rd runner-up – Sinadya sa Halaran of Capiz
* 4th runner-up – Tribu Maragtas of West Visayas State University
MINOR AWARDS IN KASADYAHAN :
* Best in Street Dance – Tribu Panguyang of Antique
* Best in Performance – Salakayan Festival
* Best in Choreography – Salakayan Festival
* Best Choreographer – Salakayan Festival
* Best in Music – Tribu Mandaragat
* Best in Costume – Sinulog sang Oracon Festival
(with reports from Edgar Siscar of ILOILO UPDATE)